The moated castle was built between 1570 and 1576 by order of Heinrich von Bogenhausen (Teutonic Order). He replaced the old castle that was built by Thomas Knoll from Weinsberg, whose stone cutter’s mark is still visible today in the keystone of the archway.
Today, the moat around the castle is no longer filled with water. A stone bridge leads the way into the castle courtyard, which took over the former wooden draw bridge. To the left and right of the gateway construction there are arrow slits decorated as lion heads.
The two towers served as a means of defence, then as straw stores, bull pens or cubicles for travelling tradesmen. The deanery is the oldest part of the castle.
In the last century the building has been used as a school house and town hall.
It was renovated in 1965. Today it is the home of the Resident’s Registration Office of Kirchhausen.
A castle festival takes place every two years. The castle can be visited during the Resident’s Registration Office opening hours.
Schlossplatz, 74078 Heilbronn
Bürgeramt Kirchhausen (Resident’s Registration Office of Kirchhausen)
Mon.-Wed., Fri. 08:30 am - 12:30 pm
Thurs. 08:30 am - 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm - 7 pm
Tel: +49 7066 7044, Fax 1448