Heilbronn / Heilbronn Sights / Pottery Market Tower (Hafenmarktturm)
Pottery Market Tower (Hafenmarktturm)
The last contemporary witness to the Franciscan monastery.
Towards the end of the 13th century, friars
of the Franciscan Order, also referred to as
the Barefoot Order, built their monastery
between Sülmerstraße and the east city wall.
Their church, an early Gothic place of worship
with a roof spire, was destroyed in 1688 during
the Palatinate War of Succession.
Funded by donations, the imperial city had a
tower with Baroque elements built in 1727.
This tower was seriously damaged in 1944.
In 1964, a memorial for those who were killed
in action during both World Wars was opened
in the renovated and refurbished tower.
A hand-forged Phoenix, symbolising the
reconstruction of Heilbronn, sits on its top.
Every day at 10.55 am and 7.20 pm, you may
hear five folk tunes played by a carillon of
bells located in the tower.
The tower is open to the public. The key is available from the Heilbronn Tourist Information Office, Kaiserstraße 17 (Mon-Sat) and the City Archive (Sat & Sun).
Sülmerstraße, 74072 Heilbronn